Monday, December 11, 2017

Done For This Year

My dad always said I was the contraptingest one of the bunch.   Not sure if this counts as a contraption, but here it is.


Saturday morning, once the temps had gotten up above freezing, I went out and put up the rest of my Christmas lights.  I dragged up one of those old skids the previous owner left behind, and set the ladder on top of it.  It added just enough height that I could reach the eaves, even though I had to stretch a bit.


The good news is, the hard part is done.  The hooks are in, and next year all I'll have to do is run the strings of lights.   I still feel like I need to do something with this front window, but it's probably not going to happen this year. 


The plan is to pull my drapes back so you can see my tree through the window, I just haven't done it yet.  That, too, will necessitate some sort of step ladder.  Ah, the joys of being short. 

I was out in my back yard filling up my bird feeder, when I noticed this log.  It's one of the larger ones, having roughly an 18" diameter.  What caught my eye was it was starting to crack on the ends.  I said to myself, "Self, I wonder if I can split that there log." 

I ran inside --  not literally, I don't run if I can help it -- and got Mjolnir and Fang.  A few well placed blows, OK a lot of well placed blows and that log was split right down the middle.


I split one of the halves into quarters. 


I was going to split the other half, too, but swinging a sledge hammer is quite the work out.  By this time, my arms were so tired I could barely drag Mjolnir back to the house.  It'll have to wait until another day, when I've recovered.  But now I know I can do it, and those pieces are small enough I can use the chainsaw to cut them into fireplace lengths. 

More importantly, I'm one step closer to getting my back yard back.  Between the giant pile of concrete and the giant pile of wood, I haven't had a yard since I moved in. 

Finally, there is a surprise in this picture.


Can you spot it? 





No comments: