Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Bricking, Baking, And A Bit Of Bad News

You reckon I could get any more alliteration in that title?

First, the bad news.  My Canon EOS DSLR has kicked the proverbial bucket.  When I try to take a picture, it goes through all the motions, but instead of actually taking the picture, it just says ERR 99.  I've googled and tried everything they've suggested to reset it, except changing the lens.  That's because I only have one.  I'd wanted to get a macro lens in addition to the one that came with the camera, but those things are seriously expensive.  I don't know if it's the lens that is bad, or the camera itself.  Whatever the problem is, I'm not going to worry about it until after Christmas.  I'll figure something out then. 

The good news is, I found my little Kodak point & shoot that I've had for years.  It still works, wonder of wonders.  I got online to try to download a driver on my laptop -- that's how long it's been since I've used it -- and they don't even make them any more.  All is not lost, however, as it has a memory card.  I can put it into my universal card reader and still transfer pictures to my computer. 

And there is always the camera in my phone, so yes, I will always find a way to take pictures.  . 

I've spent the rest of the last two days baking cookies and making candy to take to Texas Christmas.  Doing so involves a lot of hand washing.  So much so, I split a couple of my fingertips open again.  About that time, a thought occurred to me -- I have a whole box of gloves Cyndye had sent me last time I'd split a fingertip open.


I put some on, then just washed the gloves.  It really saved my hands.  I'd take a break from baking, and said to myself, "Self, since you have the gloves on already, you might as well scrub some of this paint off."  So, I did a little bit of bricking, too.


At this rate, I might have this thing stripped by next Christmas.  Oh, and there's nothing quite like discovering that your beloved cat, despite having three litter boxes placed in strategic locations around the house, has decided she'd rather use your drop cloth as a toilet.

Repeat after me:  I love my cat, I love my cat, I love my cat...

OK, back to my baking...don't worry, I put clean gloves on before I started fooling with food again. 

Last year, I gave Cody one of my cookie sheets when he got his own apartment.  A couple of weeks ago, I got a new set.  I didn't really need them, but that's beside the point. 

So, there I was just a baking away, using one of my new cookie sheets, when I noticed it.  The cookies weren't spreading.  I thought they weren't cooking at all, because they were still in a lumpy ball.   I kept looking through the window, and looking through the window, and looking through the window, but the cookies weren't spreading out.  I finally pulled them out to check, and they were just shy of being burned.   


 The ones on the top were baked on the new sheet.  You can see how much smaller and darker they are.  I guess I'll use the old sheets for spready cookies, and the new ones for those that don't spread as much.   

I hadn't planned on making any bread this year, but when I was washing and putting away my mixing bowls, I found these little loaf pans. 


I don't know where they came from.  I don't remember buying them.  That doesn't mean I didn't,  I just don't remember it.  However they got into my cabinet, it seemed to be a sign.  I might make some pumpkin bread.  It's pretty easy, and I think I still have some canned pumpkin. 

I'll just have to see how things are going tomorrow. 




No comments: