Monday, July 20, 2015

Treasures

Back in the day, my grandma used to knit and crochet.

When I was three, she had a stroke which left her partially paralyzed for the rest of her life.  She tried to keep up with her hand crafting, despite having lost the use of her right hand.  My grandpa made her a block to hold her knitting needles and crochet hooks.  She would hold the yarn in her left hand and manipulate it around the needles or hooks.

Eventually she gave up knitting and stuck with crochet.  I reckon it was easier to do one handed.

I knew I had some of the things she'd made for me around here somewhere.  Yesterday, while cleaning out a corner of my bedroom, I found the box they were in.  There were a lot of my baby things in there, but I only got these out to show you.  My grandma made both of them.

There is this little knit cardigan.  It's nice and soft and squishy. 


And this little crochet dress.


The best part of that is I actually have a picture of me wearing it. 


Finally, this.  I don't know what it is, as I didn't even take it out of the bag. 


It is a work in progress, and I imagine it was something Grandma was working on when she had her stroke. 

As I was sitting here admiring her work, I realized that I am now the age she was when she had her stroke.

Kinda puts a little different perspective on it. 

No comments: