Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Schadenfreude

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.  And how we are loving it.  And should probably repent, but probably won't. Ok, here's the story. 

Remember how Demi-god was going to come and teach us poor plebs how sub-brazing should be done?  Remember him bragging that he can braze 500 headers a day and all?  

He's starting to find out it's a completely different story when you have to actually follow the rules and can't just do whatever you want.  When you have to actually go by the schedule and can't pick and choose which orders you get.  That's what he'd done on second shift, and the group leader would save all the big orders of easy parts for him, but on day shift has to do whatever is next on the schedule, and he does not like it.  Not one bit.  

So yesterday he was over there crying to the Supervisor about how few headers he's been able to do since he got up there.  He didn't even do 200!  What a travesty!  First he was blaming the adapter tubes not being cut correctly, but that's no excuse because we all have to deal with that.  Then he was saying he didn't feel good, but that's no excuse either, because we all have to sometimes come to work when we don't feel good.  

But wait, there's more. One day last week, one of the test tank operators was out, so they sent Demi-god back there to run it.  He was not happy.  He was slamming his papers around and glaring at everybody, but he went.  That brings us to today.  

Again, one of the test tank operators was out, so Supervisor told Demi-god to go back there.  Again, he was not happy.  I though I heard him mutter something about going home, but he didn't.  Well, after lunch, one of my coworkers told me that Demi-god had gone to Cuz and complained that he was tired of being moved all the time. Cuz told him to go talk to Daddy, and supposedly Daddy told him, "You'll be all right.  Go on over there and get to work!"  

And some of my coworkers learned a new vocabulary word today:  schadenfreude. 

In other news, Monday the Ford place called me and let me know the part for my car was in, and they'd scheduled me for March 5th -- which is next Tuesday.  Shouldn't be a problem.  So, first thing yesterday morning, I put in for a vacation day and I had to spend the rest of the day sitting on my hands -- figuratively speaking -- so I wouldn't hunt down Supervisor and nag and pester and worry and beg him to approve it.  "I need this day.  I have something I have to do.  I need you to approve it!"  

Because that's what we have spent the last 18ish months having to do.  

I talked myself off that ledge, reminding myself that this Supervisor isn't...well, now that he's gone, I supposed I can tell you the nickname we had for him, which was Bozo.  I reminded myself that this isn't Bozo and he'll get it taken care of and so was able to finish the day without worrying him to death about the vacation request.  Sure enough, when I checked this morning Supervisor had already approved the day, so now I'm all set to get my car finally fixed.  Even better, the Ford place is going to come pick it up from my house, so I don't have to sit all day in their waiting room watching TV and knitting.  

I can sit all day at home watching TV and knitting.  Which is much better. 

In weather news, it was 72° when I got up this morning and by lunch time it had dropped to 53°.  Normally, I don't light a fire until it's down in the 40s, but since it's so late in the season, I splurged when I got home and now the house is toasty warm.  I think I'll get a little hot chocolate a bit later on, too.  

Look at this:  I came home to three more seedlings poking their heads up. 


That makes 7 all together.  They're all sunflowers, so far.  I'm hoping the others will start showing up pretty soon.  It's only been 5 days since I planted them, and yes, I know I'm being impatient. 

I'm thinking about buying some garden cloches and planting them outside as soon as they get strong enough.  That way, even if we do have a late frost, it will be easy to cover them with a garbage bag.  I just need to decide where to put them.  

If they even survive, that is. 

And now, I think it's time for that hot chocolate. 

Laters...


No comments: