Monday, February 26, 2024

A New Thing

I am so sleepy and I don't really know why.  I slept pretty well last night, even though 4:30 still comes mighty early.  I don't really have a lot to talk about today, but I had to show you my little bunch of jonquils.  


Plus, I've got a daffodil in the back yard where I had transplanted some of them last year. 


I'm hoping they're in a better spot, and will grow and spread, instead of dying back the way they were in the previous spot.  

Still nothing growing in here, but I went ahead and turned on the grow lights just in case.  


I've got it set to a 12 on/12 off cycle, so that ought to be good for them.  When they do germinate, that is. 

In other news, I bought myself a little Valentine's Day gift.   But first, you need a little back story. 

A couple of years ago, a new show started on CBS called Ghosts.  It's a really cute show, and is now into its third season.  In the show, a couple from New York named Samantha and Jay inherit an old country house and decide to turn it into a bed and breakfast.  

During the renovations, Sam trips and falls down the stairs and spends some time in a coma.  I think it was 6 months, but I don't remember for sure.  After she recovers and goes back home, she discovers that she can see and hear ghosts, and her house is haunted.  It's a really cute show and I've enjoyed watching it.  It's up on Paramount +, if you have the subscription to that.  

It's based on a BBC series of the same name, and naturally I was curious about the original series since the BBC shows seem to always be much better than their American counterparts.  The one exception to that rule has been The Office.  I hated the BBC version of that.  

OK, enter Horrible Histories.  They put that show up on Hulu sometime last summer, and I absolutely love that show.  It's a British children's show that teaches history through comedy sketches and songs, and has many of the same actors in it as are in Ghosts.  I'd gone to YouTube to see if I could make a playlist of some of my favorite songs, and the algorithm kicked in and began showing me clips of some of these actors' other roles -- including Ghosts.  

This peaked my interest and I began to look for places to watch it. Unfortunately, none of my streaming services has it.  Until the writer's and actor's strikes began. The networks began scrambling to find stuff to fill the time slots, and in November, it was announced that the UK version of Ghosts would begin airing on CBS.  Hooray!

I watched the first two episodes and was totally hooked.  So much so, I bought the entire series from Amazon -- and I mean, all five seasons.  The BBC version has so much more depth and richness than the American version, and I hate that it ended so soon.. 

Which brings us to about a week and a half ago.  I was doing something and had YouTube on for background noise, and the algorithm kicked up a video of something like a comic-con taking place over in England somewhere.  This particular video was a Q&A session with some of the actors from Ghosts.  

Somewhere in there, they mentioned a book they'd done called the Button House Archives.  The way they were talking about it, it sounded really cool, so off to Amazon I went.  And here it is:


 I've only glanced through it at this point, but I'm loving it.  It's a collection of papers, 


and notes, 


and the backstories of the ghosts.  


All of it is in period appropriate print, as if they'd found all this stuff in the house and put it into a book.  

Yes, I'm a dork, but I love this kind of stuff.  Which means I'm about to abandon you for my new book. 

Laters...

No comments: