Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Day Three

It's day three of being iced in, and I'm starting to understand why people used to get cabin fever.  I mean, I was thinking about it just today, and if I didn't have internet and TV and thousands of books available to me, I might just be going stir crazy my own self.   Funny, Laurence Brown mentioned Laura Ingalls Wilder's book The Long Winter on his YouTube Channel Lost In The Pond today, and even though I've read the book several times, I simply couldn't imagine living through that.  

I mean, it's not likely I'd be wanting to go anywhere anyway, but knowing I couldn't if I wanted to makes it a completely different ball game.  Fortunately, I haven't lost power or heat, well, not during the day.  The power did go out for about 4 hours last night, but it was from around 1:00 AM to around 4 AM, and I was sleeping anyway.  

Entergy didn't give the reason why; they just said the cause was under investigation.  If I were to hazard a guess, though, I'd say someone decided to get cute and slid on a patch of ice and ran into a light pole.  But that's just speculation on my part.  

Anyway, I found the old TV show Northern Exposure is up on Prime now, so I've been watching that, along with Heartland and The X-Files, and I whipped out another headband while doing so. 


And I used that term loosely.  The older I get, the faster my hands get tired and sore, so I'm hardly whipping anything out these days.  I'd say the total knitting time for a headband like this is about two hours, but I have to stop and take frequent breaks for my hands to rest.  This is done in Red Heart Supersaver in Pink Rose colorway.  

I know you're probably tired of hearing about how cold it's been here, but it's my blog and I'm a weather geek, so weather is what you're going to get.  This morning when I woke up, it was colder here than in Fairbanks, Alaska where my sister lives. 


That didn't last long once the sun came up. 


It warmed up to 35°, and stuff began to melt pretty quickly.   I ventured out and took this photo of icicles forming on the shed's eaves as the runoff re-froze.  


My road is still pretty icy, and with the slight melt and re-freeze, it'll probably be slicker'n snot in the morning. 



 I was debating on whether to call in to work tomorrow, but turns out it's all moot anyway, as they've cancelled work for one more day.  At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if they just said don't come back until Monday.  Especially since we're looking at the possibility of more freezing rain tonight and tomorrow.  We're all hoping it doesn't get this far South, but weather is weather, which means you never know what it's going to do. 

The good news is, by this time next week, we'll be back up into the 60s.  That's winter in the south for you. 

In other news, look who showed up at the corn pile this morning.  


I see the does and fawns all the time, but seldom see bucks, so this was a treat.  Funny thing, I don't know the hunting laws in MS, but in Texas it wouldn't be legal to harvest this buck, because Texas law says the rack has to be a certain width at its widest point - I think it's 13" -- and they always say a quick way to tell is if the rack extends beyond the buck's ears.  I'm no expert, but it seems to me you'd want to cull the bucks with the inferior racks from your herd.  All the ones around here are spikes, and end up with ugly, skinny racks. If it were up to me, I'd want to get those genes out of my herd.  Not that it matters anyway, as I don't even have a hunting license any more.  I hadn't been hunting in so long, I didn't even renew it this year. 

Speaking of hunting, this thing has been trying her best to catch a bird.  


I've been scattering extra seed on the ground for them during this cold spell, and Evil has tried so hard to catch one.  Then she gets mad at me because I open the door and scare the birds away before she can get one. 

Oh, she's not cold.  The fires of Hell which burn in her soul keep her plenty warm enough. 

3 comments:

Amnicon Studio said...

The headband looks nice.

I subscribed to the youtube channel so I can check it out later.

Good looking buck!

Your sunrise was pretty.

Amnicon Studio said...

Oh, and I don't know if I ever read that Laura Ingalls Wild book. ... I may have to see if my library has that on audiobook.

Becky G said...

I love the Little House books, and have read them all multiple times. I used to want to be Laura when I was a kid, and wore my hair in two braids for years, just because she did. The Long Winter is incredible, just thinking about what they all went through.