Saturday, September 19, 2020

Mini Vacation

When last we spoke, I mentioned that I had no idea what I was going to do on my day off.  The only thing I knew for sure was to go pay some bills, and do my weekly shopping.  Which I did not do last week, so I guess it was my bi-weekly shopping. 

So, what did I do on my day off?  Well, first thing is, I slept past 4:00 AM.  And let me tell you something, it felt wonderful.  You know what else was wonderful?  Not feeling like I had to rush all day long to get anything done.  I enjoyed a leisurely cup of coffee -- or two-- then went and ran my errands.  It stayed so cool all day, I went ahead and mowed.  And get this, I weedeated, too!  I have a hate-hate relationship with my weedeater.  I hate it, and I'm pretty sure it hates me, too.  

Thing is, I can't ever get the string wound correctly, so that it feeds out when you bump the bumpy thing.  I have to stop, unscrew the thing, manually feed out more line, rescrew the thing, then start the weedeater all over again.  This is why I don't weedeat very often.  

I've been putting out my Fall decorations, and had this one shelf that just needed a bit more.  First thing I did when I got to Walmart was to...well the first thing I did was to squeal, because they have both doors open now!  Plus, they peeled the arrows up off of the floor...not that anyone followed them anyway, but still...

The things you get excited about during a pandemic...

OK, moving right along. 

As I was saying, I had this shelf that needed a little something more.  I'd put large brown plates there last year, but I moved them to the mantle, so it just seemed a bit empty.  I was perusing the fall decoration aisle, when I stumbled upon these cute little signs, and they fit the space perfectly.


I adjusted the two candles and the pumpkin dish a bit after I took the photo, so it's a bit better balanced.  I just didn't take another photo.  Which apparently means I'm not bringing my "A" game, but oh well.  

There was a third sign that I really liked as well, and I may get it next week.  If I do, I'm going to hang it here, where the horse's head is. 


I'm thinking about moving the horse over to where that cross wall hanging is, so it'll match my Texas theme better.  


My only hesitation is that head is pretty heavy, and there isn't a stud where I want to put it.  Right now, it's hanging on a screw in a drywall anchor, which was left there by the previous owner.  The cross hanging is only on a thumbtack stuck into the wall, but it doesn't weigh very much. I don't think that tack would hold the horse up at all.  

Eh, I'll figure it out eventually. 

I had an ibotta rebate for this first aid kit, so I went ahead and picked it up.

At the moment, it's in my bug out bag, but I have a feeling that's only going to be temporary.  First of all, it's in a hard case, and secondly, it's for minor injuries.  I think in a real survival situation, I'm going to need something a bit more complete than just a few boxes of Band-Aids and some Neosporin.  That's something I'm going to have to research. 

And here we have it, the last mask!


I saw it in a FB ad, and simply couldn't resist.  It comes with a little carbon filter, too. 


Not sure it's going to be strong enough to filter out the stank from some of those women in the bathroom at work, but there you have it. 

I'd thought about ordering some Halloween themed masks, but decided against it.  These generic ones I've got, I can still wear them after the pandemic is over for mowing, cleaning snake tanks, and such.  Not that I would ever wear Van Gogh for a dirty job like that...


After working on a scarf for nearly a week, I finally cast on a new hat.


It's just a plain stockinette hat out of Red Heart in Country Blue colorway.  It was chilly enough this morning -- 57'-- that I almost dragged out the sock yarn blanket.  Not quite, though. But soon...You know, eventually I'm going to get that thing finished.  Not today, but eventually. 

And finally, remember that big box of vegetables someone left outside my door a few weeks ago.  This afternoon, I finally got the onions chopped up and into the freezer.  They were the last of them.  A week or so ago, I boiled and mashed the sweet potatoes, and got them into the freezer.  I won't have to buy any this Thanksgiving, at least.  Or next Thanksgiving.  Or maybe the Thanksgiving after that, as well.  No, there weren't that many in the box.  Let's just say, I greatly overestimated how many sweet potatoes I'd need last year, so I had quite a bit in the freezer already. 

Because I can't ever seem to do anything halfway. 



No comments: