Friday, June 05, 2020

Nope, Not Today

There I was at work, waiting to clock out, when my phone began blowing up with severe thunderstorm warnings.  

It happens when you have 34 weather apps...Which can neither confirm nor deny that I actually do...I'm pleading the 5th...

But as I was saying, I was waiting to clock out when my phone began blowing up with severe thunderstorm warnings.  

"Hey!  We're under a severe thunderstorm warning!" I told my coworker.  I'd planned on going to the store today, but in the light of certain severe thunderstorm warnings, I decided to wait until tomorrow.  Good thing I did, because about an hour after I got home -- which was about the same time I would have been leaving Walmart  --it hit.


I had some serious flashbacks to Easter Sunday, but thank goodness, it didn't get that bad.   

My lights flickered a few times, but didn't go out.  I heard the town just South of us -- Winona, for you local folks -- had significant damage, trees and power lines down, a roof blown off...that kind of stuff.  One of the FB weather pages reported the winds were 60 MPH.  Seriously, they were blowing me back into the house while I was trying to film them.  But the worst of it has passed us, and we're all OK here.  Still a bit of thunder and some drizzle, but nothing too rough.  

Speaking of rough, guess where they finally put Stalker.  Go on, guess.  I'll betcha can't.  If you said sub-brazing, give yourself a cookie.  He was once so arrogant, so superior.  Now he's not only just another peon, but within the department, he's low man on the totem pole.  One of the brazers said, "Now THAT is karma!"  As if that weren't enough, his very first order, he had to get an experienced brazer help him set it up, because he couldn't figure out how.  In fact, he's had to ask for help quite a few times, prompting yet a different brazer to say, "And he was supposed to be teaching this?" To which I replied, "Yeah, that's why those people were coming out of that class not knowing anything."  

I actually knew before hand that they were going to put him there.  Chief had called me over and basically said, "I need him, and I need to know you aren't going to kill him."  "As long as he stays over there and leaves me alone, I'll mostly pretent he doesn't exist," I responded.  His first day in the department, Group Leader Shark asked if I was all right.   I told her I was trying very hard not to gloat, and not quite succeeding.  

I think we all can say that.



These last few days, I've had a bit of the epizoodies, so last night, I finally broke down and took some NyQuil.  I slept good, I'm telling ya.  I woke up this morning, still feeling a little drugged, but able to breath comfortably for the first time since I can't even remember when.  The bad news is, I could tell exactly when the antihistamine began wearing off -- around 9:00 AM -- because my chest tightened up and I began gasping again.  Sigh...I wish I could find one I could take every day that wouldn't dry me out like the Sahara Desert.  

The good news is, with the economy opening back up, our business is bouncing back faster than they expected.  The Big Man Up Front held his montly townhall meetings and said we're getting way more orders than they'd projected, so we'll be working overtime for a while.  They're even going to be opening up the assembly lines they'd shut down a few weeks back.  They say we'll be working Saturdays for the next two months, plus 9 - 10 hours during the week.  Group Leader Shark said, "Those of you who've worked here before knew this was coming!"  But you'd be surprised at how many of them acted surprised. Saturdays?  Why are they making us work Saturdays???  As if we hadn't worked 6 days a week for the last 25 years...

And finally, we're still keeping an eye on Cristobol.  He's wabbling around in the Gulf like he's drunk, so we don't know what he's going to do.  I've got my Vienna sausages ready, just in case.  









No comments: