Monday, June 15, 2020

All Is Well

OK, I did not like that alarm going off at 3:30 this morning, but as I drove to work with it still pitch black outside, I gave a little sigh and thought, "All is right in my world again."  Not that I like getting up that early.  But I'm used to it.

Let me tell you, my next door neighbor gave me quite the scare yesterday.  I was out in the back yard cutting my grass.   Mrs. Newman was cutting hers as well.  This is not unusual.  She works in her yard every single day, either weedeating or mowing.  

After a while, I noticed she had stopped her lawn mower -- she has a riding mower -- and was just sitting there with her head bowed.  I thought she was taking a minute of a break, because it was pretty hot out.  I kept on mowing, keeping an eye on her all the while, but after a few minutes and she still hadn't moved, I became concerned enough stop and check on her.  Cutting off my mower -- who for some strange odd reason I have named T-Roy -- I walked over to the fence and called to her.

"Mrs. Newman!  Are you OK over there?"  

No response, so I called again, a bit louder, "Mrs. Newman!  You all right?  Mrs. Newman!"

Still no response.  By this time, I was pretty worried, so I went out the back gate and over into her yard.  Approaching her, I called again, "Mrs. Newman!  Mrs. Newman."  Again, no response.  Seriosly concerned by this time, I shook her shoulder gently.

Nothing.

I was actually reaching for my phone to call 911 when she started a bit, and roused.  She began talking, babbling really, and was very disoriented.  She talked for several minutes, then kind of did a double take and said, "Where'd you come from?"

"I thought you was passed out, and came to check on you," I said.  Kindly ignore the vernacular.  Thank you.

She looked around, confused, then said she'd thought she was still in the hospital.  She told me she'd been very sick lately and had lost a bunch of weight.  "The doctor said I'm not supposed to be doing this, but I can't just do nothing," she exclaimed in frustration.  

It took me several minutes, but I finally convinced her to let me help her back into her house.  I stood by as she got off the lawnmower and steadied her as we walked across the yard toward her back door.  As we came around the corner, her daughter came out of her house, and said, "Mom!  What happened?"

"She thought I was dead," Mrs. Newman said. 

"I really did," I concurred.  I told the daughter what had happened, and she took Mrs. Newman on into her house, and I went back to my mowing.  I do hope she's all OK now.  And that was enough excitement for one day.

Except that one of my young bucks came to nibble up the stuff the squirrels tossed onto the ground.  It looked like one of the two year olds.  He was so handsome with his little antlers in velvet, but I didn't get a picture of him, so you'll have to settle for this one. 

Wild blackberries behind my fence.


Not enough to do anything with, though.  Bummer. 

No comments: