Monday, June 01, 2020

Good While It Lasted

Well, it was a good little break while it lasted, but it's over now. 

That's right, Stalker was back at work this morning.  He came bounding around the corner...he he he...bounding...the thought of him bounding is making me giggle so hard I can't even type.  Ok, back to my story...he came bounding around the corner shouting, "Hello, Gloria!" Gloria being the sub-brazer right on the corner stand.   

He did not quite receive the welcome he expected.  Most of us groaned, rolled our eyes, and went back to work, ignoring him.  Truth is, nobody missed him.  One of my other coworkers said she does better when he's not standing over her, just waiting for her to mess up.  I mean, we're all adults, and most of us are experienced brazers.  We do not need a babysitter.  Or as I often refer to him, a cell block warden.  

Anyway, he didn't get quite the welcome he expected, as most of us didn't even acknowledge he was there.  He just put his head down and walked off, and we hardly saw him for the rest of the day.  

Rumor has it, The Boss Who Must Not Be Named has done away with the brazing training program, but that's not been confirmed as of yet.  Truth is, we were turning out better brazers before they even started that program, back when they were pairing the new brazers with experienced people for training.  A few years ago, I was staying over and helping new brazers on second shift get up to speed.  One lady told me, "I learned more from you in 20 minutes than I did in a week in that class."  Well, yeah, because I actually know how to braze.  

What I want to know is, if TBWMNBN has done away with the brazing training program, what are Brazing Boss and his minions going to do?  If you ask me -- and the rest of the brazers -- they need to go away.  

I know blogging has been kind of light, and part of it is because I've been in a bit of a funk here lately.  I stand there at work and think of all sorts of things to talk about, but by the time I get home, I don't feel like posting them.  I start to type, and tell myself, "Ah, they don't really want to hear that."  So none of it gets posted.  

Well, I did away with my Hulu Live, and just have the cheap Hulu.  It almost only lasted one day.  I got home from work and wanted to watch another episode of Swamp People, and it wasn't there.  All my saved shows.  All my DVRed stuff.   Lone Star Law, North Woods Law, Swamp People.  My cooking shows...Gone.  I mean, I have a few episodes of some of them, but not the entire series like I did before. I was good, though.  I held out and didn't reactivate it.  I probably will in the Fall when the new shows came on.  Now, I'm wondering if my saved stuff will still be saved, or will I have to add it all back in again.  I guess we'll see.  For now, I'm catching up on stuff on Prime and PBS Masterpiece.  

I just finished watching the Les Miserables mini-series.  I really enjoyed that one.  I also rented the new Emma.  It was pretty good, but I was a bit disappointed that Miranda Hart's part was so small.  I thought she was brilliant as Miss Bates, and wanted to see more of her.  Still and all, I think I prefer the version with Gwynneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam.  

And then, of course, the last two days have been totally taken up with watching Crew Dragon launch.  It's the first time in 9 years that American astronauts have launched from American soil on American built rockets.  No more paying Russia $85 million a head to launch Americans into space!  

I got home from work Saturday just in time to see the rocket lift off from the launch pad, and stayed on the NASA channel until the astronauts went to bed.  Sunday morning, I got up at 4:45 to make sure I was in time to see them dock at the International Space Station.  Which I did, then sat there the entire however long it was until they were able to board.  It was about two hours, because it takes a long time to go through all the safety checks and stuff they do to make sure the astronauts don't go flying off into space.  It was all so fascinating to watch.  It makes me feel sorry for non-geeks.  Their vapid little lives must be so boring.  

There has of course, been knitting while all this has been going on.  


Yes, another hat, this time in pink.  Though the majority of the homeless are men, there are women who need assistance as well.  The organization my friend gives the blessing bags to also ministers to prostitutes.  They don't need judgement, they need love.  Compassion.  Help escaping that lifestyle.  So I try to throw several women's hats into the mix every year.  

I know it's kind of hard to see, but look!   My little blue bonnets have formed seed pods!



Here, maybe this will help.  


Or maybe not...Oh, and though astronomical summer doesn't begin for a few more weeks -- after solstice-- meteorological summer starts today.  As for me, summer starts when the cotton is up, and it's been up for a few days now.  By the way, I'll be glad when solstice comes and the days start getting shorter.  I don't like going to work with the sun already up.  It just feels weird.  Like Mommy Fortuna*.

Creatures of night, brought to light!

And finally, as if everything else that has been going on in the world isn't enough, we've got tropical depression #3 formed in the Gulf.  Sigh...looks like Bob and Doug had the right idea.





*Mommy Fortuna is a character in The Last Unicorn, by Peter S. Beagle.  




No comments: