It was 100° when I got home this afternoon. Actual temp. In the shade. I don't even want to know what the heat index was, or what it was in the bald sun. I waited until around 6:30 to go out and water, and it was hot then, too. It is now 7:30 as I type this and it is still 93° out there.
Funny thing, I've seen videos from British people talking about Americans couldn't handle a UK heat wave -- you know, when it gets up to the unbearable temps of 85°. In one video I watched, they were discussing how they deal with the heat, since they're too morally superior to buy air conditioners. One lady was talking about how she slept under a wet sheet. I don't care how hot it gets, there is no way I'm going to do that. Ugh, how slimy that would feel! She also said she paints her windows with yogurt.
Seriously? I thought it was a freak thing, but then I saw a video from Ben at GrowVeg mentioning the same thing. Painting your windows with yogurt is apparently a real thing in the UK. Why? What is it going to do except sour and stink? If you want to block the sunlight, put up some drapes or something.
If you can stand a bit of salty language -- quite a bit, in fact -- The Fat Electrician recently did a video on the greatest invention of the 20th century, air conditioning.
Now for a bit of good news, the little tomato that was nearly eaten to death has really picked up.
It's still quite a bit smaller than the others, but at least it's growing again. Aaaand, I've got a few volunteers coming up in my zinnia bed.
Alas, one of them will need to be thinned, but I'm going to give them a couple more weeks before I do that.
By the way, Walmart has their bags of bark mulch on clearance for $2. I might just go up there tomorrow and get a few bags for next year.
For those of you who don't work there, back around 7-8 years ago, they decided to split up the plant, and put the component area in the front, and move the assembly area to what was once the warehouse. I won't go into the gory details, but things haven't been the same since. There isn't any flow to production, and it's much harder to get our parts out. They've been talking about putting it back ever since, and now it looks like they're actually going to get started doing that very thing.
This morning at the meeting, Group Leader Shark told us to take everything out of our lockers, because they were going to get rid of them. I'm not too happy about that. Without lockers, we don't have a secure place to store our tools. Right now it's not too much of an issue, but it will be once second shift starts back up -- whenever that happens to be. Our options then will be to leave everything out and hope it doesn't get stolen, or lug our tools back and forth through the metal detectors every morning and evening.
Then they're going to tear down the wall between the front and back part of the plant. That's why they are doing those weeklong shutdowns instead of putting us on four day weeks. Supposedly, they're going to move the brazers again, too, and bring two of the assembly lines back up to the front. I mean, they're not going to do that all in one week, but that's the plan.
For now at least, the brazers will still be in our own area, but one of the quality guys told me he wants to put us back on the assembly lines. He said, "When y'all were on the line, you could braze 700-800 headers a day and still have time to walk around and help out on the line!" And I said, "I want some of whatever it is you've been smoking!" Then I sniffed him to see if he smelled like skunk...
Anyway, every brazer I've talked to says they do not want to go back onto the lines, because those group leaders treated us like we were nothing more than built in floaters. My last assembly line group leader once told me she'd never allow both brazers to be on our stands at the same time because she "couldn't afford to pull two people off the line like that." The one I had before that used to put me onto the line, then come yell at me on the line because they'd run out of headers. Well, DUH. What did you think would happen? I think if they do try to put us back on the lines, I'm going to go ahead and retire from out there.




No comments:
Post a Comment