Thursday, May 02, 2024

You Got Questions?

I got answers, and those answers are....well, we'll get to that in a minute.

There I was at work this morning, just a working away when I spotted the safety guy talking to Cuz and a couple of supervisors.  When they were done, I walked over and said, "I need to ask you a question.  Why do we not have an emergency shut off button here in the sub brazing area."

He kind of looked taken aback, the said, "Hell, I don't know."  

That there is answer #1.  

Then I told him that because of what had happened Monday with the pipes coming loose and all, I wanted to familiarize myself with where it was, only I couldn't find it.  I know we used to have one, but I'd been told it was taken out.   I said, "I was thinking -- because I overthink everything -- when that gas was leaking, what if it had ignited somehow, there wouldn't be any way to get to the shutoff valves and cut it off."  

I also said that that is what had happened last Fall when the regulator on station #9 blew up.  I'd had to wait until the flames went down a bit before I could safely go over and shut the gas off.  So not having an emergency shutoff is an issue.  

Safety Guy said he'd look into it -- find out why the emergency shutoff button was removed and see about getting us a new one installed. 

And there you have answer #2.  

The rest of the day passed without incident except for the big meeting we had at the end of the day.  They were talking about how employees need to be doing their jobs instead of standing around talking, and not leaving their work area without letting someone know where they are going -- etc., etc., all the usual stuff.  Group Leader Shark asked, "Does anyone have any questions?" and I said, "I do!" 

I asked, "What about all these people from these other departments coming over here, standing up and talking?"

Group Leader Shark replied, "They're all having this exact same meeting right now in their own departments?"  And I said, "Even in the lab?  Because there is absolutely no reason for anyone from the lab to be coming over here, walking around this department, and talking to people for 20 minutes at a time!"  

From somewhere behind me, I heard a voice say, "AMEN!"  

Anyway, GLS said she'd look into that, so dare I hope that I can finally be rid of my Stalker -- at least for a little while?  

In other news,  I was intending to plant some of these seedlings into the front flower bed this afternoon, 


but we're supposed to get some potentially heavy rains over the next few days.  I didn't want the little plants pounded into mush, so they'll stay in the tray for another day or two.  In the meantime, since nothing has ever happened with the seeds I planted in these little cups, I decided to put them onto the heat mat to see if that helps stir things up. 


I'd planted eight of them, but one actually germinated something.  It's outside with Marty Mad for the time being.  These are dwarf cutsey variety.  The others I planted are dwarf sensation, and look!  One is about to bloom soon.


I'm not quite sure what this thing is doing.  Sunflower people, is this a bud?  


 Whatever, it'll be interesting to see what it turns out to be. 

No comments: