Thursday, December 28, 2023

Letting Go

You will all be pleased to know I woke up in plenty of time to make it to Spain's before the store got crowded.  I just didn't.   I lay there in bed a few minutes trying to make up a shopping list, and realized I  don't need anything right now, and wouldn't have a place to put it even if I bought stuff. 

When I opened up my app to check the morning temp, that sealed the deal. 

I decided then and there that there was nothing I needed badly enough to get out into that cold weather when I didn't absolutely have to.   Instead, I built a fire, made a cup of coffee, and spent the morning watching history documentaries on YouTube.  

There was this one really cool one where a guy re-created the explosion that would have occurred had Guy Fawkes succeeded in his plan to blow up King James.   It's an hour long, but worth the watch, if you're in to that sort of thing. 

So, since I cleaned out my lower cabinets over Thanksgiving break, one of the plans for Christmas break was to clean out the drawers.  I mean, the drawers in the kitchen cabinets.  Just to clear up any confusion.  Today, it was the silverware drawer. 

Back when I got married -- yes, I was married for a very short while-- one of my wedding gifts was a bunch of Corningware kitchen stuff.  I had plates, bowls, a casserole dish or two....and silverware.  Truth is, I never really liked the silverware because it had those big, bulky handles that never quite fit into the tray.  

After a time, the handles began cracking, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away.  Nothing sentimental about it.  They were still usable, if just a bit less attractive.  I'd even begun buying replacement silverware, but still stubbornly hung on to the corning.   Today, all that ended when I came to the conclusion that it was time to let go of it. 

I dumped everything out of the drawer into the sink, sorted the bad stuff out and tossed it, then washed the good stuff and put it all back.  Oh, and I wiped down the drawer itself.  It looks so much neater and more organized now, even though my silverware doesn't all match.  


 It's kind of sad the things I get excited about these days.  Ooooh, and I discovered my Grogu Funko is a bobblehead!


Like I said...thought it doesn't really matter, since I don't intend to take it out of the box.  It's one of those heavy duty collector's boxes, not the flimsy cardboard they usually come in.  

And finally, I've got two skeins of this DK weight yarn, amounting to about 650 yards. 


It is crying out to be knit into something, if only I could find just the right pattern...I'm thinking scarf...but am open to suggestions.  

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

My silverware drawer is a hot mess. I don't live alone so I need to accept that it's always going to be a hot mess. I have a few pieces of my MIL's silverware mixed in there and I'm not giving it up.

I like the color of the yarn. I can't think of any scarf patterns in particular. I haven't made a scarf in a while.

However, I do like cowls. Maybe the autopilot cowl? Or it's companion pattern. Copilot? I don't know how many yards they take.