Wednesday, December 13, 2023

I Done Messed Up

I done messed up at work yesterday.

But first, let me back up a minute.  I'm not trying to make excuses, but the fact is, I felt awful all day.  I seriously thought I was coming down with either flu or COVID, since both are going around the plant.  However, I woke up this morning feeling much better, so I'm glad of that. 

What had happened is that I got an order and noticed I was four headers short.  I put in to have them re-cut, then brazed up the ones I had on hand.  It wasn't until this morning that I got the four headers I'd put in for, and I saw they were different from the ones I'd brazed yesterday.  

Naturally, I went and pulled up a print and saw that all the ones I'd brazed already were wrong.  Oh, boy.  Fortunately, it was only 12 parts, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  I got to looking even further, and realized that the header paper that had been with the ones I received was correct -- as in it went with the order I was brazing -- but it had been put with the wrong headers by someone over in tubing.  This has been happening a lot lately, by the way.  Of course, out there nothing is ever tubing's fault.  It's the brazer's fault for not catching their mistakes.  Always. 

Knowing that it's better to confess than get caught, I went looking for Supervisor.   As I was walking up the aisle to his desk, The Big Man Up Front was out on the floor doing something, and turned around saying, "How about that Army-Navy game?"  He's Army, by the way. 

"I DO NOT WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT!!!"  I replied.  Then I said, "Next year, Navy's going to start playing sometime before the last five minutes of the game!"  He agreed that if they'd played like that the whole game, they probably would have won. 

I found Supervisor, explained what had happened and we got it all straightened out.  Our department dispatcher was also out today, along with Group Leader Shark, so he told me to go upstairs to the main dispatcher and ask her to put it in.  I got all the way up there, and she told me to take it to the sheet metal dispatcher....so I walked all the way over to sheet metal, and that dispatcher said, "I can't put this in.  Someone over tubing has to put it in."  

I tromp back over to tubing, muttering all the while about definitely getting my steps in today, found Supervisor and told him what sheet metal dispatcher had said.  "I don't even know what to do now," I said, and left it for him to figure out.  He did and I eventually got my parts and brazed up the order -- correctly this time.  

In other news, my sister is so frustrated.  She'd ordered a personalized gift for her daughter in law, but the company doesn't ship to Alaska.  She had them send it to me, and I'm going to mail it on up to her.  So, here's the thing.  She placed the order back in November, and they'd told her it would be delivered between Dec 6-11.  No problem.  That's still plenty of time for it to get to her.  

The eleventh came and went, and no package.  She messaged me and said the updated delivery would be the 12-13th.  OK, not a problem.  Last night, she messaged me again and they'd told her the new delivery date wouldn't be until December 16th.  That is Saturday, which means the earliest I'll be able to get it into the mail will be Monday, 18th.  It should still get to my sister in time, but that's starting to cut it a bit close. 

Aaand she messaged me while I was typing all that out and said according to USPS, it's still in Georgia, so there's no telling when it'll get here.  

OK, on to today's advent figure, the angel. 


Then an angel of the Lord stood before them Luke 2:9


I guess that's about it for tonight, then...

Later, peeps. 

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

It is so frustrating when things like that happen at work.