Sunday, September 08, 2019

Sunday Hymn

On September 8, 1900, the worst natural disaster in U.S. history occurred when the hurricane known simply as The Galveston Storm made landfall, leaving behind unimaginable devastation.

On Galveston, there was an orphanage, St. Mary's, run by some nuns.  As the storm moved across the island, the nuns gathered the children together in what they though would be the stronger of the two dormitory buildings.  It wasn't.  The surge took the building, killing 10 nuns and 90 children.  Only three teenage boys survived.

They later related that in order to keep the childrens' spirits up, the nuns sang them this French fisherman's hymn.  Thus, I have decided to share it with you for today's Sunday hymn.

(By the way, I'm not Catholic.  I'm Baptist, but I'm pretty sure my Catholic friends will have no objection to me posting it.)




If you feel led, join me in observing a moment of silence in memory of the 8000-12000 souls the sea claimed that day.

No comments: