Friday, October 09, 2026

Ready

This morning, I finally went to see the eye doctor.  It's funny, because when I went to get the form from the safety person at work, she asked me where I was going.  I told her, and she said, "Ugh, I hate that place!"  Then I told another brazer about that conversation, and she said, "I hate that place, too!"  

I told both of them -- but not at the same time -- about how I'd tried and tried to call the other place behind KFC, but they wouldn't answer the phone.  I also mentioned how I'd gone to their website twice and filled out the form but never heard back from them, so I kind of had no choice.  Still, I understand what they mean now. 

First up, my appointment was at 8:10, and they didn't get me in until nearly 9:00.   Then, I got a lady doctor who was just a bit weird, not to put too fine a point on it.  I mean, she was an OK doctor, but she just seemed fake to me.  A little too bouncy and bubbly, if you will. 

Anyway, she was remarking about how much my prescription had changed since I got my last pair of glasses, and she said, "This just screams diabetes to me."  I said, "Yeah, I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes two years ago, but I've made some changes to my diet and started exercising more and have my sugar under control now." 

I guess I'm just one of those folks that people never listen to, because she then told me I needed to call my doctor and get my sugar under control -- right after I'd told her my sugar was under control.  I was good, I kept my mouth shut, but I was thinking, "Who do you think diagnosed me?  And didn't I just tell you I had it under control?"   I'd even told her my fasting glucose usually runs between 95 and 100, but she kept telling me to call my doctor and get my sugar under control.  

I guess I should have asked her what she considers "under control" to be, because my doctor thinks it's fine.  Heck, I'd even told her I'd just had my annual physical in May, but she just wouldn't listen.  I think next time, I'm going to try that other place again, because I sure didn't like this one. 

One good thing, I asked her about my dry eyes, and she checked something and said I have some membrane something...I don't know, but she said it's pretty common in post menopausal women.  She recommended I start taking a supplement called Blink and gave me a seven day sample pack.  She was a bit frustrated because she couldn't figure out why she couldn't get my right eye corrected to 20/20.  The best she could do was 20/30.  Other than that, she said my eyes looked healthy and disease free, so that's good. 

Eventually, the appointment ended and I went and ordered my safety glasses.  Then, when I was checking out, the receptionist filled out me another appointment card for two months.  Huh?  Nobody had said anything to me about coming back, so I asked, "Why am I coming back?"   The receptionist said, "Diabetic prescription check."  And just what exactly does she think is going to change in two months?  I guess she's expecting me to go to my doctor and "get my sugar under control." 

Because she didn't listen when I told her it already was under control.  

Tell me, what do y'all do to get people to listen to you?  I'm starting to wonder if sound is even coming out of my mouth when I talk.

I'd planned on going up to Batesville after my appointment, but they dilated my eyes.  I asked if I could still drive, and the nurse said I could.  She lied.  I could barely see well enough to drive home, and truth be told, I probably shouldn't have driven in that state, even with the little sunglasses things they gave me.  

Well, at least I could still work in the yard...after my eyes finally un-dilated.  That took about 3 hours, but I watched A Heartland Christmas movie and started re-watching season 5 of The Chosen before season 6 comes out next month.  

Once I could see again, I went ahead and pulled up those sad, pathetic looking zinnias and emptied that bed out. 


I moved the soil into one of my big, metal raised beds and I don't know why the side of it looks like that in the photo.  It doesn't look like that in real life. 


See?  


Once the wooden bed was empty, I moved it down a bit and lined up the two metal beds, 


then did the same to the wooden beds.  


I'll probably tweak them a bit and definitely level them before I add soil and plant them.  If it ever cools off, that is.   And of course, I want to see how much the rain from Hurricane Isaias will settle them.  Hopefully we'll get some.  My poor spider lilies are sparse this year from the dryness. 


Speaking of, I'm about as ready for this storm as I'm going to be.  I've filled up my gas tank in my car, brought the flags inside, charged up the power banks and made sure I have the correct number of batteries for my Harvey lantern this time.  Before I go to bed tonight, I'll bring in the plants, and unplug Pumpkin Kitty.  That'll be it for my hurricane prep.  We're far enough inland that we won't get the worst of the storm, but they're saying we might still get quite a bit of wind out of it.  All I want is for the power not to go out. 

In other news, I bought the stuff I needed to make that pumpkin bread and the other recipe of pumpkin soup I found.  Guess what I forgot.  The maple syrup.  

I'm thinking of using my sugar free syrup and maple extract instead.  I wonder if that will work.  I know the purists will have a stroke just reading that, but I think I might mix it up, then taste it and see.  It only calls for 1/4 cup, so ...maybe I won't need the syrup after all.  Maybe just the extract to give it that flavor.   I'll try that and see.  Since I'm the one who is going to eat it, it shouldn't matter too much. 

I guess that's about all for today.  If you'll excuse me, my Chicago shows are back on and I'm going to go watch them before the hurricane gets here.  I prolly ought to light that candle again, too.  

Just to be on the safe side.  

No comments: