Wednesday, September 13, 2023

I Remembered!

 So, yesterday when I said I had something else to tell you that I couldn't remember, but would as soon as I published the post?  I was right. 

I was going to tell you about a new app I found called Zoom Earth.  It's kind of like Google Earth, but it's only satellite images.  Weather satellites, I mean.  Of the entire Earth, up to the Arctic Circle and down to the Antarctic Circle, that is.  

I've been totally geeking out over this, which should be no surprise to anyone who actually knows me. 

I also remembered another thing I was going to tell you, and that is that they had another layoff out at the plant.  They got 11 people off of day shift, and some from second shift, but I don't know how many.  Still not a single supervisor or front office person, though.  At this rate, soon they'll have more supervisors than employees.  

On the other hand, if those supervisors are under contract, they might not be able to just lay them off like that, or they'd risk getting sued for breach of contract.  

While we're on the subject, it was brought to my attention that some people might have family obligations, and that's why they are mad about having to switch shifts.  I do realize that, and we'd talked about it at work yesterday, but it just didn't seem to fit the flow of the blog post, so I left it out. 

I totally understand where they'd be coming from, because I remember having to scramble to find childcare when Cody was little, and how hard it was to find affordable, yet reliable babysitters.  It literally makes me sick to my stomach to think of some of the people I let watch him, but at the time, I had no choice. 

One time, when Cody was 2, the production manager we had at the time decided he was going to combine the shifts for Fall slowdown, and he'd let us know when it was supposed to start when he decided it was supposed to start.  Suddenly, I had to find day shift childcare, which was no easy feat.  I found a local day care, explained to the owner the situation, and fortunately, she was very accommodating.  I told her they probably wouldn't tell us until the day before, so I might not be able to give her any notice.  I might just show up one morning and say, "Here we are."  

That's pretty much exactly what happened.  He told us the Friday before, "Start coming in on day shift Monday."  Aaaand, ten days later, he decided it wasn't working and sent us all back to second shift.  Sigh...

I told the day care owner what had happened, apologized profusely, but she understood.  She could have made me pay out the contract, but again, she was very accommodating.  Alas, however, I was left scrambling to find child care again.  

So, yeah, I totally get how that could cause problems for people with small kids.  

And finally, I've been meaning to take photos of this mural someone painted downtown.  I think I may have posted them a while back, but for those of you who may be new to the blog, here they are again. 





I think it's pretty cool. 

No comments: