Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Dinosaurs!!


It appears it was a good thing I mowed yesterday, because we got a pretty good storm this morning -- with thunder and everything.  I'm not sure how much it rained, but it was enough to leave puddles in the parking lot at work.  So, yay me!

It also appears something is eating my Cosmos.  I went out to check them as soon as I got home, and another one has been completely stripped of its leaves.  After starting a load of laundry -- see, my list never ends, either -- I mixed up some diluted dishwashing liquid and sprayed the remaining two down pretty well, then I got my slug and snail killer and spread some of that around them, too.  Hopefully, that will be enough to keep them alive.  

The good news is, I'm seeing sprouts in my little greenhouse!  

I've been meaning to post these photos for a week now, and I'm finally getting around to it.  I'd mentioned that there is something new at the Memphis Zoo, and it is dinosaurs!  Real live dinosaurs!

They had them running loose in this one area, and you could go in and walk amongst them.  You did have to dodge getting eaten by some of the more...aggressive ones...


OK, not really.  Obviously, they were animatronic, but they were still pretty cool.   Most of them moved and made noise, but some were just models. 


They were life sized as well, 


despite the liberties Jurassic Park took with some of them...


Yeah, real velociraptors weren't as big as they showed them in the movie, being only about the size of a turkey. 


The triceratops was cool, 


as was this...whatever it is.  I think it's a Spinosaurus,  but I didn't take a picture of the sign, so I'm not completely sure.  



The Brachiosaur was truly awe inspiring. 


 I didn't intend to include a person in this photo, but I'm kind of glad she was there, so you can get some perspective on how big this thing really is. 



The person was a little taller than me -- maybe about 5'7".  

The whole thing was so cool, I said "I don't want to leave!  Where was this kind of thing when I was a kid."  But then, when I was a kid, we thought Tyrannosaurus Rex walked upright with a dragging tail...

Like this one from Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose, Tx.


Not my photo, by the way.  I swiped it off the internet.  At one time, I could have shown you an original photo, but Hurricane Ike ruined the ones my dad took, and dummy me taped over the video I made when I took Cody there when he was 8.  

I want to go back some day, and maybe some day I can. 

Anyway, I took a lot more photos up in Memphis, and if you want to see them, they're in my Facebook album.  Which you may or may not have seen, thanks to FB's stupid algorithm.  It's even got some videos in there, too. 

No comments: