Thursday, January 13, 2022

Omicron

It's getting rough out there again, with the Omicron surge.  It seems like every one I know has it now.  It's so bad at work, there are so many people out that the powers that be cancelled everyone's vacation days for the next two weeks.  


I mean, every one who had scheduled a day between now and the end of the month, that is.  Then they'll re-evaluate and see if they need to continue that policy.  

I'm hearing chatter that our surge here in MS will peak probably late next week, then will drop off just as quickly as Delta did.  Dr. Dobbs gave a three minute update (which actually lasted five minutes)  today on what's going on here in the state.  Cases are spiking, but as is typical with this variant, hospitalizations and deaths are down compared to previous variants.  He also outlined which treatments work well against this one, and which are ineffective, so it sounds like he's on top of it.

In other news, I'm getting back into the groove with my piano practicing.  There are occasional obstacles, 


but we work through them. 

The biggest issue I've been dealing with is my sustain pedal.  I don't know if there is a problem with my technique or what, but when I pedal, my...umm...pedal scootches across the floor until eventually I can't reach it.  I have to stop playing and pull the pedal back to where I can reach it.  I'd tried bringing in one of the unused floor mats from my car to see if it had more traction, but no dice.  The entire mat scooted across the floor.  And I would have to stop playing and pull the pedal back to where I could reach it.  Ad infinitum.  

Well, today, at work, I had a brilliant idea.  As soon as I got home, I tried it out.  I went outside and got an old paver from the firepit behind the back fence and used it to brace my pedal. 


 It worked like a charm.  No more sliding across the floor!  And the car mat keeps it up off of my linoleum...or flooring...or whatever that stuff is. Now I can get back to getting serious about my playing. 

And finally, they've still got us at a 70% chance of snow for Sunday.  

We shall see...

No comments: