It's rough, I'm telling you. When you've been able to sleep in until 6:00 for two days, getting up at 2:30 again is rough. Then work started off much the same as it was last week, work trickling down ever so slowly...then around 8:30 or so, all heck breaks loose.
All of the sudden, we've got assembly line supervisors all over the place because their lines are down waiting on orders tubing hasn't even made the parts for. I lucked out, in that I didn't end up getting one of the orders they were waiting on, so I didn't have anyone standing over me, but still...It beats the heck out of me why they don't have anyone on the adapter tube side coming in early.
In other news, I think I figured out what is going on with my zinnias. Short answer is, I put too many into that one bed, and now they're having to compete for sunlight. Basically, I've made the grown up version of leggy seedlings. So, this afternoon I made the difficult decision to thin them. I got my loppers and cut seven of them out, which leaves me with 8 in the bed.
It was tough to do, but I think the ones left will definitely benefit from better light and air flow. As I dead head them, I'm going to cut them way back, and I hope they branch out down towards the bottoms like this one has done.
Next year, I'll know not to put so many of them into a single bed. I should have known 15 was too many, but again, I never expected them to get so big.
While I was out there, I harvested a few more tomatoes.
I've also discovered that you can freeze tomatoes. I mean, I'd done it before, but didn't know it was OK to do so. It does affect the texture, so you should only freeze tomatoes you plan to cook with. Nothing that requires crisp fruit.
That sentence went totally off the rails, didn't it?
All that to say, I'm already looking forward to hot tomato soup and grilled cheese on a cold winter night.
That ought to give it a nice little kick.



No comments:
Post a Comment