Tuesday, August 08, 2023

Golly What A Day

Just when I was moaning that life is dull and repetitious, oo dah lolly...well, let me just tell you about my day.  First up, I get to work and find someone has left an absolute mess in my work area.  


I guarantee it wasn't like that when I left yesterday.  And look at the far right of that photo.  That is my brazing stand.  Do you see what is missing?  Now, I know if you don't work there, you won't know what is supposed to be on said stand, so I'll tell you.   What's missing is my parts trays.  

But, but, but, aren't those your parts trays there on top of that cardboard box?  Nope.  Those are someone else's parts trays.  I found mine over on station #5, despite having that giant #7 on them. 

 Now, don't get me wrong, coming in to a disaster area is an every day thing out there, because we don't dare complain about their precious second shift -- who, by the way, can complain as much as they want about us, but Heaven forbid we say anything even the slightest bit negative about them.  

But today, well, I'd had enough.  I went upstairs and got Baby Boss* and asked him to come to my stand.  I showed him the mess, and said, "This is an every day thing."  Really, it's not fair to me that I should have to spend the first 15 minutes of my day cleaning up somebody else's mess before I can even start doing my own job. Baby Boss said he'd talk to the guy, but I'm not holding my breath that he's suddenly going to start cleaning up.

It just aggravates me that he doesn't even work on my stand, yet he leaves my stand a mess every day.  I feel sorry for his poor wife.  She must not do anything all day but follow him around picking up his socks and drawers.  

That taken care of, I began my work day.  A few hours later, I was just working away, minding my own business when I heard a commotion at the end of the row of brazing stands. I looked down there and saw one of the parts stagers kind of hunched over, and two other employees standing next to her.  

Thinking she was sick or something, I started walking down there to see if she was OK, and I heard another brazer say, "You must stink or something."  

About that time, the parts stager looked up and saw me.  She said, "Becky is this you?"  I still didn't know what what was going on, so I thought she might have thought I'd farted or something -- until I heard someone say the word spider.   

All three of the people appeared to be looking at the floor, so naturally I thought they'd seen a spider and needed me to come kill it, since I'm the unofficial department bug squasher.  When I got down there, though, one of the ladies said the spider was ON her -- meaning the parts stager.  I walked around behind her, and saw it crawling in her hair, only it wasn't a spider.  It was a deer fly.  

Coworker #2 swatted at the fly, and it flew out of Parts stager's hair and landed on top of her head, on her bandana.  "It's on your head!" coworker #2 said, and slapped at it again.  She didn't do anything but scare it off.  "It flew over there!" someone yelled.  I went over there, and saw the deer fly -- on Parts Stager's face.  

Really.  It was on her cheek.  Finally!  I had my chance!  I reared back and hauled off and slapped the mess out of Parts Stager's face.  

OK, not really.  I did pop the bug just hard enough to knock it off onto the floor, but not hard enough to hurt Parts Stager.  Once the bug was on the floor, I stomped on it and squished it into oblivion.  

We all had a good laugh about that, then it was back to work.  

But wait, there's more!  

We'd had some pretty good storms roll through this morning, bring with them much needed rain. 

Just before lunch, I had just put a jig back into the rack, when a very loud clap of thunder came.  Off in the distance, I heard at least one person scream.  That's how loud it was.  But that's not the fun part.  Right in front of my face as I was walking back to my stand was some sort of breaker box.  I think it controls the phone lines and computer connections, but I'm not completely sure.  Anyway, when that lightning struck, I saw sparks come out of that breaker box. 

I'm totally not kidding.  

Maintenance came out and checked things out, and apparently everything was OK, but it was still kind of freaky.  Thankfully, the rest of the day passed without incident. 

After work, I ran by and voted in the primary.

At long last, I arrived home to find in my mailbox....Christmas stickers!


And more Christmas stickers!


It seems the wax seals I normally use have been getting pulled off of the envelopes thanks to our wonderful postal system.  I think this year, I'm going to put the wax seals on the inside of the card, and use these stickers to decorate the envelopes.  

Oh, and if you're not on my Christmas card list and want to be added, just message me your address and I'll be happy to add you -- even if you don't feel like you can send a card back.  Don't let that stop you.  I'll still send you one. 

Whelp, that's about it for today.  I know you're probably thinking "Isn't that enough?"  I know one thing, for sure....it'll be a long while before I complain about my life being dull again.  

*I call him Baby Boss because he looks so young for his age. He's actually in his 30s, but if you didn't know that, you'd think he was 16. 

No comments: