Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Weekend Projects

It would seem my obsession with knitting hats has been replaced with an obsession for knitting scarves.  Over the weekend, I cast on two, yes two, count 'em two new scarves.  Well, sort of...

This one I'd actually cast on a while back, but lost interest and set it aside for a while.  After pulling it back out of the project bag in which it had been languishing for the last couple of years, I started working on it again.  It didn't take long for me to realize the fabric was going to be way too stiff.  


I debated on whether I really wanted to start over, but I hadn't gotten very far, so I ripped it out and cast on again with larger needles.  However, I that fabric seemed too loose.  Again, I ripped and started over a third time.  I think this time I got it.    


The fabric is just about right.  Not too stiff, but sturdy enough.  The pattern came out of an old book I bought at Walmart years ago called Coats & Clark Knitting Made Easy.  It may be available online, I don't know.  It's just "Hat and Scarf Set".  I probably won't do the matching hat, because it's knit flat and seamed.   

The second scarf I cast on is Yarn Harlot's one row scarf.  


I'd found this ball of Bernat POP when I was cleaning up the other week -- which I also finished doing over the weekend.  I'm not sure it's going to make a long enough scarf.  I may need to see if I can find another ball.  I'm going to wait, though, to see how it goes before doing that. 

You'll all be happy to know I didn't spend the entire weekend sitting around knitting.  I got my pressure washer out and got the rest of the moss off my steps.  


They still look stained, so I'm going to get the detergent and try to get them a bit cleaner.  One of these days...  Once the steps are done to my satisfaction, I'm going to start working on my bricks.  First thing I'll do there will be to finish getting all the English Ivy roots off this side of the house.   


I got a good bit of them knocked off Saturday before my hands got worn out.  Pressure washing isn't as easy as it looks.  

And the last project I tackled was to replace the mini blinds on one of my French Doors.  Several of the slats had gotten broken and it just looked bad.  I carefully measured, thinking I'd be able to use the same brackets, but the blinds I bought didn't fit them.  Dang...

So I pulled the old brackets down, and look what I discovered:  


Apparently, when the previous owners painted those doors, they didn't bother to take the blinds down first.  Oh, well, it's not all that noticeable once I got the new blinds up.  

That was an exercise in frustration, I'm telling you, because those doors are steel.  It took some doing, a bit of sweating, and a few unwholesome words, but I persevered and got 'er done.   Just a simple thing like that makes the room look so much neater. 


Now I just have to finish stripping that paint and repaint the doors.  It's always something, isn't it? 






No comments: