Monday, August 05, 2019

All Over

Well, Shark Week is over for another year, and so is my long weekend.  I did not want to go back to work this morning.  I seriously considered calling in sick and staying home another day, but I talked some sense into myself.

"Dummy!" I said to myself, "Don't waste a point, blow your monthly attendance bonus, and your 6 month perfect attendance when you just had 4 days off!"  So, I got up and trudged on into work -- even though I sure didn't want to.

The first day back is always hard, and this one was no exception.  We got there and our computers were down.  We couldn't clock in, and I couldn't run off a copy of the schedule.  My schedule is like my brain.  I can't do anything without it.  I wandered around feeling lost for a while, until someone got the computers back up.  I didn't really take that long, and I had work to do, but I still felt discombobulated without my schedule.

The rest of the day passed without incident, but I'm plumb knackered.  I have a feeling this is going to be one of those I'm so tired I hope this post is coherent posts.   No promises, eh?

Every so often, I have one of those moments I look back on later in life and wonder what was I thinking?  I certain crush I had when I was in Jr. High is just such a moment.  I look back at that guy, how arrogant and disdainful he was -- not just of me, but of anyone he deemed unworthy -- and wonder what was I thinking?

I have a feeling this is going to be another one.  I bought The Little Prince.


Oh, I had the book before.  I've had a copy for ages, and have read it over and over.  But this one is in French.


I don't speak French.  What was I thinking?

Truthfully, I'd read the book in the original French years and years ago -- when I was in college.  One of my classmates asked me if I understood what I was reading.  Yes, I did, back then.  I'd taken French in high school, and between that and my familiarity with the story, I was able to grasp most of it.  Ever since then, I've wanted a copy in French, even though after all this time, I remember very little of the language. 

Maybe I'll add French to all the things I'm trying to learn right now...

Speaking of, I'm still struggling with my guitar.  The book I bought is teaching the notes on the strings right now.  My very next lesson gets into chords.  That's what I struggled with the first time around.  That book started off with the most difficult chord -- the F chord-- and I just couldn't grasp it.  This time, they start with the C chord, which I kind of already know.  Also, this time, I have an accomplished guitarist in the family to whom I can cry "Help!" if I need to.  And I may need to.

My piano lessons are progressing nicely, though.  I was noticing over the weekend I'm already on page 80 of my piano book, and only on page 17 of my guitar book.  Piano is coming much more naturally to me.  Maybe it's because I had that year of lessons when I was a kid.  But that was 43 years ago, so maybe not. 

What else did I do over the weekend?  Well, I'll tell you.   While watching Shark Week, I finished a hat. 


This one is out of the Caron Simply Soft I bought on clearance a few weeks ago.  Then I cast on another. 


This is Red Heart Pinata that my friend Peggy sent me when she was de-stashing. 

One last thing I did was to just sit here being thankful.  See, my brother and his family live in El Paso.  Every Saturday, they go to Wal-mart.  Only, this Saturday, they decided they just didn't need anything that badly, so they stayed home. 

Even Russell said it had to be divine intervention.

Whatever it was, I'm thankful they were not there. 

Amen.

No comments: