Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rylea is Back

but she's in a bad way. It looks like she got run over. Not just hit, but actually run over. Both of her back legs are severely injured, and one appears to be broken. The vet said her injuries look to be a couple of days old. Likely she was hit Sunday and it took her this long to crawl home.

We were over at B and J's putting up their Christmas tree. I'll post about that later. I was heading home, when I heard a noise from under the old house. "Rylea?" I called. As soon as she heard my voice, she started barking in that hound dog yell she has, and barked until I'd found her. Cody was carrying his flashlight, and was able to locate her with that. She wouldn't come out, so I had to crawl up under there and get her. I took her inside, and laid her on the couch on a towel. Cody stayed with her, while I called the vet. I explained to him what had happened, and he agreed to meet me at the clinic--despite that it was nearly 9:00 PM.

She is up at the vet's clinic now. He said the joint on her--well, both back legs are bad, but one is worse than the other. The joint on her worse leg looks like infection has started to set in already, which is bad. On the other hand, her only being 6 months old is a big plus in her favor.

None of her injuries appear to be life threatening. He said her heart sounded pretty good, considering. It's just the threat of infection that is troublesome. He started her on antibiotics and pain killers and will just let her rest tonight. Tomorrow he will sedate her and clean her wounds up really well and get some x-rays. Then we'll take it from there.

I'm just glad she's back.

7 comments:

Perpetual Beginner said...

Poor Rylea, what an ordeal. I'm so glad she managed to make it back to where you could find her.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for a clean and quick recovery.

On a hopeful note, my SIL's family had a cat Obi, who was run over by a car at a young age. Other than a ground-brushing flap of skin on his belly, he recovered completely. Lived to be 18 if I recall correctly. May Rylea do the same.

Robin said...

I'm so glad she's back but so sorry that she's hurt. I hope she heals up and is wiser about leaving the safety of your's & Cody's love!!
I'm thinking about you guys!!

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear she's back too. Poor Rylea! I suspected it was something that she couldn't control because she's still a baby. Perhaps, like Robin said above, hopefully she'll be a little wiser in the future about exploring. That's what little ones of any age want to do, after all! And at least she's found, and she's in the best of hands now.

Anonymous said...

Poor little girl. Keep us posted k?

Buck said...

I, too, am glad she's back, Becky. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya.

Becky G said...

Thank you everyone. I too hope she has learned her lesson. I hope she learns faster than Katie did. She was hit at least 3 times before she figured out that those big things give you ouchies.

Bag Blog said...

I'm glad to hear she is back, but sorry about her injuries. Hopefully, all will heal well.