Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hey! You Got Your Politics In My Holiday!

Rockefeller Center

The biggest Christmas tree lighting of the year. This year marked the 75th year. I'm not even going to talk about the fact that none of the TV personalities, singers, or various other celebrities would say "Merry Christmas." and all said, "Happy Holidays" instead. I won't even mention how ironic I find it that someone would go to a Christmas party to light a Christmas tree only to be offended by a Christmas greeting.

No, what I'm going to talk about is the politics of environmentalism. I'm going to talk about the host--I don't even remember who he was--laying on the guilt pretty thickly. Go to this reforestation website, he would say, and buy a tree to be replanted. Give a tree as a gift, he would say, to plant in someone else's name. They would make up for some of the more than thirty-two thousand trees cut down this time of year. Oh you shameless environmental rapists cutting down all those Christmas trees!

What he conveniently failed to mention--in hopes that most of you wouldn't catch on to the fact--is that nearly all Christmas trees sold in the United States come from--you guessed it--Christmas tree farms. Where trees are planted, grown, and carefully shaped to be the perfect Christmas tree. When trees are cut, the farmer replaces them with another crop. More trees.

When you bought your tree, you paid the tree farmer to do exactly what the talking head was suggesting. You are paying him, in part, to plant another tree.

Which he will do, in the spring.

So go ahead. Enjoy your live tree. Sans guilt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your post title. 8-) And the irony of offense at a Christmas greeting. Some folks just aren't happy unless they can find something to be miserable about. Also irony. ;-)

We've always had artificial trees, which is another way to get around the enviro-nuts. As an adult, I've had my own fake tree since 1990, have only used it twice, and finally donated it to charity this year.

Hey Becky: MERRY CHRISTMAS! ;-)

Bag Blog said...

I think we should go after the broccoli farmers next.

Buck said...

Well said, Becky.

It's my MISSION in life at this time of year to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. With a big smile, too.

And Lou...I think we should hit the brussel sprout guys first, THEN the broccoli guys...

Sarah said...

This post was hysterical, and so dead on. America is getting too PC and politically nonsensical for my liking. Patch, I wouldn't advertise too loudly that you own an artificial tree. I'm sure it somehow is contributing to global warming and an increased carbon print! Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone:)

Becky G said...

Patti, I grew up with an artificial tree, too, and have had one my whole adult life. I wouldn't do it to "get around" the eco-nuts. I'd just go right out and buy a live tree and say, "So there!"

Lou, no, let's not. Broccoli is one of the few vegetables I will actually eat.

Buck, I'm with you, both on the Christmas greetings and the brussel sprouts.

Sarah, thanks for stopping by. You're welcome back any time.