We didn’t get a drop of rain out of all those storms yesterday. Not one drop. Even in the second round that came through after I'd gone to bed, it was all wind, and a little thunder, but no rain. I've got lots of small twigs and things down, and my potted plants on the back porch got tumped over, but still...not a drop of rain out of all of that.
Well, at least the electricity didn’t go out, though it flashed quite a bit, so that’s a good thing. I'd gotten my new emergency radio/light/power bank thing out just in case, but didn't need it in the end.
Quite a few people around the state and in Memphis did lose power, so I feel fortunate in that. Still, we desperately need rain. I checked my Raindrop app, and according to them, we've only gotten .08" this month.
With that in mind, one thing I did this morning was to raise my water bottle drippers up a bit.
I'd heard to put them deep into the soil to encourage the plant's roots to grown downward, but I think I'd gotten them too deep. My smaller tomatoes were struggling a bit, so hopefully this will help. They are still a good 4 or 5" into the ground, so we'll see.
While I was out there, I dug around under the mulch in my pepper bed and pulled out all of the garden staples I'd used to hold the cardboard in place. At least, I think I got them all. As I suspected, they are all covered in rust. I'm going to try the baking soda trick to see if I can get it off, but even if that doesn't work, I've got plenty more.
The last thing I did was to move all these chunks of concrete up beside the shed to be ready for the cleanup man.

The previous owners had a huge fire pit out behind the fence. I'm sure it must have been nice at one time, but somewhere along the way, they started burning garbage in it. A few years ago, I decided I was tired of mowing around it, so I started cleaning it out. It was full of junk like broken glass, coke cans, and miscellaneous trash.
I cleaned all of that out, and stacked the concrete pieces beside the fence to be dealt with later. Today was later. It only took a few trips with my wheelbarrow to get it all moved, and I was done in time to take a shower before church.
In doing all of that digging around these last few days, I found this gem.
Oh, and I should probably mentioned that I finally finished my Hillsdale College course on American paintings. It should have been such a fascinating course, but ...I don't like throwing shade, but the lectures were delivered in such a dry, monotonous voice that they were hard to sit through. I often joked that if they'd edited out all of them ums and uhs, the lessons would have only been half the length.
Anyway, I finished and signed up for another course, this time on C.S. Lewis And Christianity. I haven't started it yes, but I will soon.
Hopefully, it'll be more interesting than the last one.



2 comments:
I was just telling someone about how we keep getting promised rain, but nothing comes of it.
Yeah, things are getting pretty desperate. My poor yard is so dry, I've had to start watering my compost!
Post a Comment