Monday, August 31, 2026

More Stuff

Today is the last day of August, and it's still hot.  That means tomorrow is the first day of meteorological Fall and guess what?  It's still going to be hot.  Upper 90s with heat indices in the triple digits. 

I know you're tired of hearing it, but you know something?  I'm tired of living it.  I'm ready for cooler temps, hot drinks, and cozy nights snuggled under a blanket.  I think my neighbors are ready for that, too, because they put out Halloween decorations already.   I've got some general Fall decorations I'll start putting out soon, but I'll wait until October to put out my one little Halloween thing. 

Anyway....not much has been going on here, at least nothing worth writing about.  I cast on a new sailor hat over the weekend while watching Clue.  


Yarn:  Hobby Lobby I Love This Yarn
Colorway:  Dakota
Pattern: Basic Beanie
Needles:  US 8 / 5 mm

I was going to watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I didn't.  Can you believe I've never seen that one?  I went with a couple of friends to see it back when I was in the Navy, but there were a bunch of kids that looked like they were between 12 and 15 years old absolutely running wild in the theater -- shooting each other with water guns and squirt bottles, throwing food and stuff, all while yelling and shrieking at top volume.  No parents in sight, just the kids. 

My friends said they'd settle down once the movie started, but they didn't.  If anything, they got worse.  About 20 minutes into the movie, I got up and left.  I couldn't hear the dialogue, I had no idea what was going on in the film, and there was no point in sitting there in all that chaos.  

In the years that have followed, I've often said I was going to rent it, but I never got around to it.  Maybe next week while the plant is shut down.  I don't even want to talk about that mess.  I talked to Cuz this morning and he said they are going to put the brazers back on the line, despite every one of us telling them what a bad idea that is. 

That's the main problem out there.  Too many people would rather be right than successful.  If certain ones up in the office would set aside their giant egos and do what's best for production for once, things might not be falling apart so badly.  

I'll tell you one thing, though.  The first time one of those assembly line group leaders moves me to the line, then starts screaming obscenities in my face because the line ran out of headers...Let's just say, I'm not going to put up with that 💩 any more. 

I'm already looking through my finances and trying to figure out how I can afford to go ahead and retire. That's the problem, though.  I might be able to scrape by, but I don't want to do that.  I want to enjoy my life.  My dad retired at 62, but his house was paid off, plus his job gave them an employee pension.  I've only got social security and whatever I've managed to save in my 401K.

On a similar note, the plant is in a full blown panic because employees are dropping like flies out there.  Quitting, I mean.  By the dozens.  I guess that's what you get when you tell your employees that if they don't like it there, then just go work somewhere else.  That's exactly what they're going to do. 

Enough about that....I've also been working on this sock yarn hat a bit in between sailor hats. 


Yarn:  Forbidden Fiber Co. Fortitude Sock
Colorway:  Starfall
Pattern:  Sockhead
Needles:  US 2.5 / 3 mm

By the way, I forgot to tell you the other day I found some more computer paper in that box I was cleaning out.   The one with the fish on it has never even been opened. 


And I had to pull this book out of the donation stack when I opened it up and found 


this:  


Funny part is, I don't remember a summer reading club at all.  Not at the church library.  We always did the one at the public library, but I don't remember this one. 

I also didn't remember this Bible until I saw it in the box.  


It was presented to me by the women's missionary union when I graduated high school.  

On a completely unrelated note, I've somehow ended up with a house full of mosquitoes.  I made a home made trap with apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and a few drops of dish soap.  I caught this many in my half bath in the first night.  


And almost as many again the second.  Alas, the one I put in the the kitchen didn't catch any, even though they're thick in there.  I'll make fresh traps and put them out tonight, to see what I come up with. 

I saw a much nicer insect in the garden Sunday morning. 


I couldn't help but think of Dolly, and how she loved butterflies. 

No comments: