Monday, September 30, 2024

What A Mess!

There I was at work, just a working away when...

By the way, you know your workplace lacks leadership when both your group leader and your supervisor are out on the same day and you don't even notice it.  Everything ran just as smoothly as it does when they're there.  

So there I was at work, just a working away when Cuz walked up to one of the parts stagers and spoke to her.  "I'll bet he's telling her to let us go at 2:00."  Sure enough, she turns around, holds up two fingers and says, "Two o'clock everyone!"  

I looked at the clock...it was 1:58.  

"You could have given us a little more notice than that!"  I said to Cuz.  "I'm not complaining, but still..."  

That was a lie.  I was complaining.  Just a li'l bit. 

It turns out it was a good thing, because remember those checks I ordered nearly a month ago?  Yeah, they still haven't arrived.  I looked up the tracking number, and they've been in Georgia since September 17th.  I got onto the credit union website and chatted with a customer service rep.  I explained the situation, and long story slightly less long, he said that at this point, we have to assume the checks are lost and my account is likely to be compromised.  The best thing to do would be to close that account and open a new one, but he couldn't do that over chat.  I'd have to call. 

As much as I hate making phone calls, this is something that couldn't be ignored, so call the credit union is just what I did.  After nearly 45 minutes on the phone with a very patient rep, I have a shiny new checking account with some shiny new checks on the way.  Hopefully.  She also fixed it so that the new checks would be free of charge, because of what I'd gone through.  They even linked my old debit card to the new account, so I don't have to get a new one of those yet.  

Now I just have to update all my auto draft payments, Paypal info, and stuff like that, and we'll be all set.   It's such a pain, but what with thieves everywhere, you can't be too sure.  

Oh, and the rep got a bit of a chuckle when the cat started yelling at me.  "I'm sorry," I said, "I'm talking to my cat."  

"I can hear her," the rep said, laughing.  

In other news, I finished a hat last night.  


 Then I cast on a new one, which won't be for the Seaman's Church Institute.  I can't show you a photo, because if it turns out, it will be a Christmas gift.  The pattern is the pinwheel hat, but alas it is no longer available.  Fortunately, I'd printed out a copy years ago, before the website it was on was taken down.  It's knit in short rows, then seamed, but I'm going to try to do it with a provisional cast on and kitchener the live stitches together and see if that works out better. 

The bad news is, I've tried it on two different kinds of yarn, and don't like how it's knitting up on either one.  One was too dark and the pattern got lost.  The other is too stiff, and I'm not sure she'd like the color anyway.  I have a few more options before I'll have to break down and order something, though.  

But now, I think I'm going to go take a hot shower, even though it's kind of early, and then watch some more Downton Abbey or maybe Halloween Wars.  

Laters. 

No comments: