Saturday, August 11, 2018

Lazy Day

Apparently, yesterday was National Lazy Day.  Who knew?

I decided to observe the day by being lazy.  After paying bills, grocery shopping, doing the laundry, washing the dishes, filling the bird feeders, and mowing the yard, that's exactly what I did.  Of course, by then it was bed time, so it didn't mean as much, but hey, I celebrated Lazy Day!

 I have at least three deer coming to feed, so while I was at the store, I bought them a salt lick.


I haven't seen them licking it yet, but that doesn't mean they haven't.  I finally managed to get a half- way decent picture of the twins.


It's the best I can do with my old point and shoot.

This afternoon, I was in my chair knitting, when Cody walked by and said, "You have a deer out there."

I threw my knitting into the air.  It landed, I know not where.  I dove my body out of my chair ...and that's where my rhyming abilities stop.  Reverting to prose...

I flew to the window and pressed my nose against the glass.  Sure enough, the big doe was out there eating.  Soon, a smaller deer came out of the woods.  Cody said he thought he saw some buttons on that one.  I said, "I'm blind as a bat.  I can't see anything.  Hey! I'm going to go order some binoculars!"

Away to my computer I flew, and began looking at binoculars.  It was then that I remembered somewhere in this house, I have a pair of my dad's binoculars.  I even thought I knew where they were.

Back to my bedroom I flew, and began dragging boxes out of the closet.  Oh, I found so many treasures!  I won't bore you with all of them, but here are a few I did want to show you.

I'd completely forgotten I had this.  It's my ET A School class photo.


The sad thing is, I only remember about half of these people.  I'm going to get my boot camp photo framed and hang them both up.  I'm not sure where, but I'm going to hang them up.

This is a fishing lure my dad made for me when I was about 3 or 4 years old.


I can't believe I still have it after all these years.  I don't think I ever caught a fish on it, though. 

And this...oh, this is probably the most prized possession I have.  My dad's cap gun. 


Some of you may remember the story of how my dad shot the chicken hawk.  If you haven't, click on through and read it. 


It's one of the favorite stories of my dad's childhood. 

I showed these treasures to Cody, who kept coming into my room every time I exclaimed, "Oh, LOOK!" then packed them carefully back into the box-- at the bottom of which I had found the sought after pair of binoculars-- then went back to the window and watched the deer until they had finished eating and went back into the woods. 

I still haven't found my old film camera, but at least now I know where it's not.

















No comments: