Saturday, April 21, 2018

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Back in January, I put in for a vacation day for Monday.  This coming Monday, that is.  April 23. 

I thought it'd be a good day to plant my flower beds -- late enough to be past the danger of frost, but early enough to be not too hot.   Then I remembered I need to get my CCP renewed this year, too.  Since I'm going to Batesville anyway, I'll just stop by the Highway Patrol office and get that done while I'm there.

Once we'd switched to the new schedule at work, I thought, "Hey, I'll just not volunteer for overtime that Saturday and have a three day weekend.  Cool!"  That had been the plan all along.  The plan hit a little snag yesterday morning when I opened my iPay app and saw my paycheck -- my 72 hour pay check.  If I take Saturday off, it'll only be a 60 hour paycheck. 

Hmmm, that's a lot of money to pass up just to have a day off.  I went back and forth all day, hemming and hawing.  Should I or shouldn't I take the day off?

One minute, I'd decide I'm going to work....but it'd be nice to have a day off.  So I decided I'm going to take the day off...but all that extra money will be so nice.  No, I'm going to work!  On the other hand...In the end, having an extra day off won out, so I'm home today.  And it feels weird to be not working.   Good, but weird. 

So what did I do on my day off?  I'll tell you.

First thing I did was to sleep until 5:00 AM.  Now, I know that doesn't sound like much to you, but when you're used to getting up at 3:00 AM, it is.  Then I did a few mundane chores like laundry and house cleaning -- and it was so nice not to have to rush through them.

Speaking of rushing, since they've made Fridays mandatory, they're letting us off at 3:00 PM instead of 5:00 PM.  It's so nice to get off and drive leisurely to the bank to pay my house note instead of flying down the road at breakneck speed to try to get there before they lock the doors.  It was so nice yesterday to drive leisurely into town to find a notary for my CCP forms instead of flying down the road at breakneck speed...BTW, they don't notarize things at the court house any more.  The county clerk referred me to the library, but their notary wasn't there that day.  The library referred me to a lawyer's office, and I was finally able to get my papers notarized.  I was beginning to think I wasn't supposed to get my CCP renewed.  Then I drove leisurely to Wal-mart and did my shopping, and drove leisurely back home, and spent a leisurely evening watching TV.

Anyway, back to today.

As soon as the sun came up, and it warmed up enough, I planted parts of my flower bed.  I'd bought these moss roses last week,


but held off on planting them.  Good thing, because when I woke up Monday, there was ice on the garbage can lid when I took out my trash.   I kept saying I'd plant them one evening when I got home, but I never did.  This morning, I finally got them into the ground.


The ones I got appear to be orange and pink, so I only bought one six pack.  I left space to put six more.


When I go up to Batesville Monday, I'm going to look at Lowe's and the Wal-mart up there to see if I can find some yellow ones.  And some I'm sure are pink.  That'll be it for this little bed.  Oh, and I put some black plastic border on the back side to try to keep the dirt from splashing up onto the porch  every time it rains.

I can be on the stubborn side sometimes.  If you know me at all, this comes as no surprise to you.  I prefer to think of myself as tenacious.  It's a nicer way of saying I can be on the stubborn side sometimes.  Case in point, I cannot grow anything from seed, but I keep trying.  This year is no different.  Once I'd gotten my moss roses into the ground, I clawed up a section of my big bed and spread some wildflower seeds in it.  It would seem I just never learn.


We'll see if anything comes up.

The other half of the bed I'll plant Monday, depending on what I find at Lowe's.  I don't have a set plan.  I'm just going to see what appeals to me.  I'll let you know what I get.

The last thing I planted was this chupacabra.


I put it into a hanging pot and hung it where my hummingbird feeder used to be.


I moved the feeder to a hook on the other side of the car port.  Hopefully, the birds will still feed from it. 

While I was out puttering, I noticed the first bloom on my roses.


I'd cut them back pretty hard last fall, so I wasn't expecting much, but the plant is absolutely covered in buds.  It should be a riot of color in a few weeks. 

And my little mystery plant has a bud. 



Finally, after I'd done all that I was going to do today, and was sitting inside watching TV, my doorbell rang.  It was the guy who owns the house next door.  He doesn't live there, but he owns it and rents it out.  He was asking me if he could put a tomato plot in on the East side of my shed.  I told him he could -- on the condition he slip me a tomato or two from time to time. 

I loves me some tomato sandwiches. 











No comments: