Sunday, October 04, 2026

Screech!

And just like that, my cooking and baking weekend has come to a screeching halt. 

I'd bought this pumpkin break kit off of the clearance rack back in January, and decided it was time to make it. 


I was going to make the mini loaves and freeze them for later.  And eat one, of course, but most would go into the freezer.  But when I looked at the back of the box, in the "You will add" section...


You will add four large eggs.  Alas, I have zero large eggs in my refrigerator.  Being allergic, I don't eat them very often, so I don't usually buy them unless I need them for something specific.  Such as pumpkin bread.  Except that making this kit was kind of a last minute decision -- one I'd made after I did my weekly shopping.  Thus, no eggs. 

If that isn't a metaphor for my life, I don't know what is.  

Back into the pantry went the bread kit, and onto my shopping list went the eggs, and I sat down and watched TV all day.  I'd bought some chocolate chips, thinking I could make some pumpkin shaped candy with my one remaining candy mold, but I just didn't feel like it. 

I've been so tired all day.  This will sound weird, but I think it's from my meeting with the tree guy yesterday.  I don't communicate well, especially with people I don't really know, and using so much energy trying to make sure I wasn't saying something that would make him mad enough that he doesn't come back and do the job is exhausting.  It's happened before.  

Heck, even when I sent him the first message, I read it, then re-read it and asked myself, "Is there anything in this message that would offend him?"   I hope I didn't, and that he does come back and do the job, but for today, I'm wiped out from trying to be what comes so easily to everyone else.   

That's all part of being an introvert, I suppose.  

All that moaning to say, I didn't do anything but sit and knit today.  


Yarn:  Red Heart Super Saver Bitty Stripes
Colorway:  Pink Lemonade
Pattern:  Basic Beanie
Needles:  US 8

By the way, I was looking through my Facebook memories and found this.  




I wonder why I didn't write down any measurements except for the broth and cream.  I did a little research and think 1/4 cup of maple syrup and 2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice might do.  Probably 1/4 cup of brown sugar, too.  

This one would taste more like pie, I would think, since it doesn't call for onion or garlic.  I might try it next weekend.   Or I might not.  I don't know.  We'll see. 

No comments: