Monday, September 07, 2026

Labor Day

I didn't labor much this Labor Day.  It was still way too hot.  It doesn't look like we're going to get any relief any time soon, either.  They're predicting upper 90s and low 100s until the third week of September. 

Y'all pray for my air conditioner.  Poor thing is getting mighty tired...

I did spend some time cleaning out the shed, but had to come inside to cool off every 15 minutes or so.  Still, I feel like I'm starting to make progress.  I'm starting to find stuff I thought I'd lost, like this project bag I bought years and years ago. 


It was pretty musty from being in storage, but I hung it up in the sunlight for a few hours and it freshened right up.  I also found this Christmas afghan I'd started probably 20 years ago, but set aside. 


I keep saying I'm going to finish it one day, provided I can find the pattern...I'm sure it's around here somewhere.  Or it's probably online...somewhere...

And look at all this yarn! 


OK, some of it is fun fur, but there is some good yarn in there, too.  

So anyway, I got up early this morning and ran in to Walmart to pick up a black plastic garbage can for my new hot compost bin. 


Everything was going swimmingly until I started trying to dig through the red clay so the bin could sit on my natural soil.  I didn't get very far at all.  That ground was hard as a rock.  I could barely scrape the top layer off. 


I think I'll get up early tomorrow and soak the area with the hose to see if that helps.  Oh, and speaking of the garden, I found a whole bunch of old snake caves and aquarium ornaments in one of the boxes I sorted through.  Most of them I'll probably put into the donate box, but I think I might put this log and maybe the barrel behind it into my toad garden. 


I'm definitely going to wait until it's cooler to start on that, though.  Whenever that is.  October, I guess. 

As if all that weren't enough, the internet was down for most of the day.  



Sparklight said it was vandalism, but some of the people in local groups were saying it was dove hunters.  I'm not buying that, though.  I mean, what could dove hunters do that would knock out the internet for most of the town?  

They got it back up around 4:30, but it shows how dependent we've become on the internet.  I mean, thank goodness I still have a DVD player, or else I would have been mighty bored indeed.  As it was, I broke open my Doctor Who DVDs of the Eleventh Doctor and watched those.  Still, I couldn't blog or play my games or anything else.  I couldn't even watch regular TV because it's all streaming nowadays.  

Oh well, that's the world we live in.  Once the internet came back up, I finished watching The Mentalist, and now I have to find a new series to watch.  I've still got a few more seasons of Emergency! to go, as well.  Probably won't be too much of an issue though, since new seasons of the shows I already watch start this month.  

Plus, I still need to finish my course on C.S. Lewis.  Maybe I can get that done this week, too while we're off work.  

I'll be sure and let you know.  

No comments: