Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Lunch and Cacti

I work in a facility that manufactures evaporator coils for home air conditioners.  While we do have some of the repair and replacement market, most of our sales go to new home construction.  As a result, we make most of our sales during the spring and summer months.  We call this peak season. 

Peak season usually ends sometime around the August/September time frame.  This year, the plant decided to have an End Of Peak Season party and feed us lunch.

Usually, when they do these kinds of things, they use a local caterer and food truck operator called Small Time Hot Dogs.  Their hot dogs are very good.  For some reason, the plant went with a different caterer today. 

That didn't work out so well. 

For one thing, they only had one serving line.  One.  For all these people who work there.  I stood in line for -- I kid you not -- 30 minutes. 

Thirty minutes.  Thirty.  Minutes.  

When I finally made it up to the servers, they gave us a choice between a hamburger, a hot dog, or a pulled pork sandwich.  I chose the pulled pork.  It was cold. 

I made my way further down the table and got a plate of nachos.  The person handing them out acted like she didn't want to give me any.  Not sure why.  I stared her down, thinking, "I did not stand in this line all this time to come away with nothing but a cold pork sandwich."  I got my nachos. 

Last stop was a piece of cake and a coke.  Then I finally got to sit down and eat.  Turns out, once I'd eaten my nachos and that cake, I didn't have time to eat that cold pork sandwich anyway.  On the bright side, I didn't have to cook supper tonight.  It was pretty good, once I'd heated it back up. 

Now, I don't mean to complain.  It was free food after all, but I sure hope next time, the plant goes back to using Small Time Hot Dogs.   Maybe it's just me, but having to stand in line for half an hour does not make me feel appreciated. 

Moving right along, it would seem Fall has finally found us.  The weather is forecasting low 50s through low 40s over the next several nights, so as a precaution, I went ahead and brought my Christmas cacti inside.


Yeah, I got a lot of them.  It's my own fault.  When a piece breaks off, I feel guilty just tossing it into the compost pile, so I root it. 

If any local folks want one, I'll be happy to share. 






1 comment:

rahul said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.