Monday, January 23, 2017

Weekending


I'm back!  I know it's been a while.  I'd meant to blog, but I didn't.  Then I meant to blog again, but I didn't.  And I'd meant to blog a third time, but I didn't.   So, here I am today.

Truth is, I came home from work Friday, turned on C-Span and watched all the inauguration stuff. I got so caught up in it, that I just didn't take the time to blog.  Of course, I'd missed it live, being at work at the time it all went down, but they replayed most of it.  The only inauguration that I got to see as it was happening was Bush (43)'s first one.  I'm not sure why I was home from work that day, but I was.

Anyway, back to this week, after staying up way too late watching all the pomp and ceremony, then getting up at 3:30 to go to work Saturday, I was a bit brain dead by the time I got home.   I don't normally blog on Sundays anyway, so there you go.  And that brings us to today.

And here we go...

My cousin has been posting more old family photos.  I stole these to share with you.

This is my grandfather's brother, Uncle Charlie.


If I remember right, and I'm sure Beverly will correct me if I'm wrong, Uncle Charlie was the third child of my great grandparents.  He was a very handsome man.

This is Uncle Mag, my grandfather's oldest brother.  Again, I think.  I have all this written down somewhere.  Uncle Mag definitely has the Gunstream look about him. 


My great grandparents had 12 children, but only five lived until adulthood.  My grandfather was the youngest, so the oldest three were grown and having children of their own by the time Pappaw came along. 

This is Pappaw and his closest (in age) brother Louis Clyde. 


My other cousin Billy found that one online somewhere, but I haven't been able to find where he got it.   He said it was on the Quitman Public Library website, but I can't find the photos section on there.  I mean, there is a section labeled photos, but I can't find these.  My ludditeness is showing again. 

Finally, this is my great grandmother Harriet Burford Gunstream


and my great grandfather, Gustavus Adolphus Gunstream. 


I'd seen the picture of Great Grandma Harriet before, but it took me until just now to realize that was chair behind her, and not her hair.  Billowing out behind her.  In a frizzy pouf. 

All this time, I'd thought I'd gotten my mop from her. 

Strangely enough, that kind of makes me disappointed. 



No comments: