Sunday, September 26, 2010

Anybody Want Some

Cotton?


Yep, that's cotton all right. I picked that much up off of the sides of the roads while walking the dogs. You can always tell when they start hauling the bales to the gins, because it looks like it has snowed.  Loose bits of cotton fly off the trucks, and they don't go back and get it.  I've thought about doing this for years, and today I did.  I just started picking the bits up off the ground and stuffing them in my pockets.  Before I got back to the house, though, my pockets were full and I was just clutching at the rest. 


This ended up being just a shade under 8 oz, though after picking the seeds and trash out you end up with a lot less usable fiber. With wool, it's approximately a 25% loss, but will be even more with cotton because of the weight of the seeds.  I can still get more, though.  They haven't even finished picking the fields on my road.  I'm thinking I may give this away, since I likely won't ever do anything with it.  Oh, I'll have good intentions, but I know me.  You know what that means.

Contest!

I haven't decided what to do yet, but I'll think about it while waiting for them to pick the rest of the fields.  It'll probably just be a comments contest.  Those are the easiest, and the fairest.  Just one note:  the cotton will be awarded as is.  You'll have the joy of picking it yourself.  Ain't that sweet of me? 

Moving right along...

I finished my first charity scarf


and I especially want you to see this:


That is how much yarn I had left over.   Just enough to weave the end in.  I love it when that happens.  And I cast on a second one.


This one looks like it's going to self stripe. It's going to be fun to knit.

I know, I know, it's not Saturday, but today's sky was so beautiful when I woke up this morning, I had to snap a shot.


They'd predicted scattered showers this weekend, but we didn't get a drop of rain. The dirt road where I walk was so dusty I had to turn back early. We desperately need rain here. Last year at this time, we had so much rain that they farmers had to hire migrant workers to come in and pick their crops by hand. The fields were so muddy that they couldn't get the heavy equipment into them. What a difference a year makes.

The best news of the day is, the Cowboys finally won a game, and in decisive fashion, too. Since the Giants also lost, the Cowboys are still only 1 game back in the NFC East. I'll get a post game post up, hopefully tomorrow. Who Dat also lost in overtime to the Falcons. So it's been a good weekend for football--well, except for that absolute spanking Texas got.

No comments: