Monday, December 17, 2007

Misplaced Belief?

It took me a week to write yesterday's post. I labored over it, sweat over it, agonized over it, and even shed a few tears over it. When I was done with it, I thought it was good. I was proud of that post.

I wonder now, did I speak too soon? It has been implied, *ahem* Buck *ahem*, that given his performance in yesterday's game, perhaps my belief in Tony has been misplaced. So what now? Should I throw him to the pigs? Should I write him off as a loss? Transfer my loyalty to an older, more experienced quarterback like, say, Peyton Manning?

I don't think so. Not yet, anyway. Let's put things in perspective. First off, we are talking about a game here. A loss will not be the end of the world. Neither will a victory bring about world peace. I like winning as much as the next guy, but face it, it is just a game.

Secondly, we're talking about a man here. He's not perfect. He's fallible and full of shortcomings just like the rest of us. He had a bad day. Anyone can have a bad day, even Peyton Manning-- who also had a very bad game a few weeks ago, throwing 6 interceptions in the Colts' loss to San Diego. Tony is very passionate about football. When someone is very passionate about something, he flies high. But when he falls, he falls hard. Tony fell hard Sunday afternoon.

(Photo by Brian Bahr/Getty Images)

The real test of his character comes now. He's already passed the first part. He cried on the sidelines after that last interception. Am I the only one who noticed that? Let me be clear, it wasn't the foot stomping, arms flailing, head back and wailing kind of theatrics Tim Tebow is fond of. No, it was just a few tears that slipped unacknowledged down his face. A dignified, manly display of emotion. And he didn't cry because they'd lost the game. He's lost before. He'll lose again. That's just the way of it.

AP Photo/Mike Stone

No, he wept because he'd let his team down, and he knew it. It showed in the post game interview. He kept his head down. He didn't make any excuses. He took the blame for his mistakes. He took the blame for the loss. And he resolved to do better.

(AP Photo/LM Otero)

The next test of his character will come tomorrow when he steps back onto the practice field. Then next Saturday in Carolina. And the next week in Washington. And on into January. Will he be able to put this loss behind him? Will his passion for the game return? I believe it will. I believe he has the fire, the passion, the drive to make himself a champion. It may not be this week. It may not be this year. But it will be. I know.

I believe.

After all, even Roger Staubach didn't win every game.

7 comments:

Buck said...

You should take a stroll over to FHB's place, Becky. He was at the game and has a few thoughts on the subject, and a LOT of good pics. He's a rabid Cowboys fan, too. (Is there any other kind?)

Becky G said...

Thanks for the link, Buck. That guy did have some nice pictures. But OY, if that's the way he talks about a team he supports, I'd hate to see what he says about a team he hates. I'm used to seeing that kind of talk from Redskins fans, not Cowboys fans.

Opal said...

Wonderfully written post, Becky. He's a champion at heart and I just know he'll pull it together. This was just *one* game. Let's see how he stands the true test of time. :)

Sarah said...

Do you also have a bit of Jessica Simpson hate for the two losses? I read a few blogs yesterday that were laying a bit of blame on her...I think it's best that I not tell you where I'm from originally,or which teams I support...you might never speak to me again:)

Becky G said...

Opal, you are right. It's how he does over the long run that counts. After all, the Boys are still 12-2. That's the best record in the NFC, and second best in the entire NFL.

Sarah, I dislike Jessica Simpson, but for other reasons. I can't say I blame her for the losses. Even if she did prove to be a distraction, it is Tony's responsibility to put that aside and focus on the task at hand. Besides, she has been at other games that they have won. So, no. I don't blame her. Tony just had a really bad day.

Let me guess, Philadelphia, right? I'll still speak to you. The Cowboys did as much or more to beat themselves than the Eagles did.

Sarah said...

Actually, I'm a born and bred Packers fan, who moved to Providence for Grad School and became a Patriots fan about 4 years ago...still talking to me now?

Becky G said...

Oh, Sarah! I could forgive almost anything, but not that.

J/K! Of course I'm still talking to you!